David Aldous

David Eric Aldous was born on 29th November 1922 to Fred and Addie. He was their third child and second son.

Private David was a trooper serving with the Royal Army Medical Corps (R.A.M.C) in World War II. He was on the medical staff on troop ships looking after the troops.

David met Marjorie Perkins who was born on 4th October 1925. Marjorie’s parents ran the Railway Inn in Buxton. Her mother was a Christian Scientist and was a very sweet lady indeed.

David & Marjorie Aldous

BACK ROW: Jack Aldous
MIDDLE ROW: Fred Aldous, Addie Aldous, David Aldous, Marjorie Perkins, Dorothy Aldous, Mrs Perkins, Mr Perkins
FRONT ROW: Rosalind Aldous
David Aldous
b. 29 November 1922
Buxton, Derbyshire
d. 20 December 2010 Kirkton Manor, Scotland

Marjorie Perkins
b. 4 October 1925
Buxton, Derbyshire
d. 9 June 2004
Kirkton Manor, Scotland

21 July 1945
Buxton, Derbyshire

{Click here for David and Marjorie's family tree}

David married Marjorie on July 21st 1945 in Buxton when he was twenty-two and Marjorie was nineteen. David’s sisters, Dot and Ros, were bridesmaids. Their dresses were pale pink. Ros remembers they each carried an enormous bouquet which dripped down their dresses (as they had just been taken out of water). David’s brother Jack was Best Man.

Their daughter, Jane, was born on 11th March 1952 at the Doris Court Nursing Home, Old Trafford, Manchester. They were living at "Winlaton", Whaley Lane, Whaley Bridge.

They lived next door to David's brother, Jack, and sister-in-law, Joan, on Whaley Lane.

David worked at Fred Aldous Ltd as their accountant.

In 1958, the family moved down to Devon, to Babbacombe near Torquay. David was still doing accountancy work. Marjorie was in the flower arrangement field.

Both David and Marjorie were active in their local Christian Science Church for a long while. Later, they attended a local Church of England church.

They moved to Scotland late in 1999 and lived at Crosshouses North, in Kirkton Manor, Peebleshire.

David retired in 2002, just before his 80th birthday.

Marjorie passed on 9th June 2004 at a nursing home in Scotland. Marjorie's funeral was held on 14th June at Manor Church. David lived just across the road from the cemetry.

David loved watching football and would talk "football" all day to the retired postman who walked to visit with David at his home.

David passed on 20th December 2010 at a hospital in Galashiels, Scotland. His funeral was on Thursday, 6th January, 2011 at Manor Church in Kirkton Manor. The vicar, Nancy, and his daughter Jane, spoke at the service. The eco-friendly coffin was made of woven split-bamboo. David was buried next to his beloved Marjorie. Scottish music was played at the burial.

Words spoken at David's Funeral by the minister:


"David was born in Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire and when he was still young, his parents moved to live in Buxton. He had 3 sisters and 3 brothers.

David's father, Fred, owned the family business "Fred Aldous" based in Manchester - selling cane, willow and handicrafts. This evolved into the business which is still trading successfully today - selling a diverse range of handicrafts.

David met Marjorie whilst he was still attending Buxton College and she was at the Cavendish School for Girls. Marjorie's family ran the Railway Hotel in Buxton.

David became a keen supporter of Manchester United when he was still at school and at aged 14, he was trialled for the team.

David was conscripted to fight in the Second World War and joined the Royal Army Medical Corps which toook him to places affected by the war - France, India, Ceylon (Sri Lanka), Egypt. His job was to care for wounded soldiers on board the hospital ships. Twice his ships were torpedoed whilst they were in active service.

Marjorie served with the Red Cross during the war. Initially, caring for evacuated children, then working in an auxilary hospital in Derbyshire, nursing wounded soldiers.

When he was on leave, David worked with Marjorie's family in the Railway Hotel.

David and Marjorie were married in July 1945 in Buxton but David had to stay in the Army until he was demobbed in 1946. Then David worked as an accountant in the family business with his father and other family members. Their first home was in Manchester near the Old Trafford football ground but they moved back to Derbyshire shortly after Jane was born in 1952.

In 1958, David and Marjorie decided to move to Babbacombe near Torquay to run a small hotel, Torcove Hotel, where they lived with Jane and Marjorie's mother until they sold it four years later.

Marjorie began flower arranging with the local club. David supported Marjorie throughout her flower arranging careeer which continued for the rest of her life.

By the early 1960's, David was working as Chief Accountant with Howmet Misco, an American company based near Exeter which specialised in making jet engine blades and hip replacements.

David and family were also actively involved in the Christian Science Church in Torquay for many years. By 1969, David was First Reader in the Torquay church (an elected office which is equivalent to being a minister).

In 1975, David and his family moved back to Derbyshire and then to Cheshire when he became a self-employed accountant specialising in working with sole traders, small businesses and charities.

By mid 1980s, David and Marjorie moved to Wiltshire and then to Devon less than ten years later. Following a flood in their Devon home near Kingsbridge, David and Marjorie decided to live near Jane in Edinburgh where she had been living since 1987. In January 2000, they moved to Kirkton Manor but sadly Marjorie died in 2004.

After Marjorie's death, David became actively involved in Kirkton Manor Church, and, as a result, many friendships were formed. He was also an enthusiastic supporter of the wide variety of events held in Peebles.

It isn't duty that brings us here. but a deep sense of sadness shared at the passing of a friend, who was dear to us. So quickly did David find a way into our lives and hearts. Arriving quietly, unknown, with but one thing in mind: to look after and care for Marjories - uppermost in his heart for all his married life (and before that too, as they had met in school)... and then departing just as quietly - but not so unknown, thankfully!

In these few short years in between his arriving and his departing, what a gift his life has been - to everyone who knew him. So quickly he endeared himself to the community, becoming a significant part of the life of Manor - as also being part of Manor's life became so significant for him.

I need only go so far as the words used by us all - his friends - to describe him:

honest, direct (not afraid to speak his mind), feisty, incisive wit, a turn of phrase, a pauky way of summing things up, warm, loving, generous, thoughtful, cheery, always a word of encouragement to everyone else, so steady, stoic, self-contained, never of word of complaint for himself, never a bad word to say about anyone else, a posh gent (as he would say of himself when he was wearing a tie - and the way, even when he wasn't wearing a tie - a gentleman through and through), an Englishman in Scotland, who loved the Scottish ales (Broughton and Traquair Ales were special favourites) and Scottish whisky - but he drew the line at porridge and haggis!

a passionate, lifelong supporter of Manchester United (he would be so pleased to know that they remeain the team to beat in 2011)
sensitive to little things - to gestures, words and feelings
taking the long view of things
a wise, true and constant friend

He was meticulous in his appearance; I think of him wearing most often, navy blue - with a nautical flair, it seemed, a blue jersey with the RNLI logo, a blue shirt, his blue boating shoes. It was a surprise to me to discover that he hadn't been in the Navy, but rather in the Royal Army Medical Corps, but it wasn't a surprise to know that his war-time experience required of him not the carrying of a gun, but to cross the seas carrying implements of healing for those who were wounded.

His features were strong, and the hands that gripped the handles of his trolley remained strong, even for his 88 years. His handshake was firm, and the sideways look that we knew so well was direct and unwavering, and full of determination - and kindness - reflections of his character. A twinkle was never far from his eye - even if he were informing us of something we should know - as when, for example, I delivered to him, not long after his arrival in Manor, a basket of fruit neatly wrapped as a gift to the elderly of the parish from the Manor Harvest Thanksgiving service: "that's the basket I brought," he said.

More recently when he was moved from the Borders Hospital to recuperate at Hay Lodge, he had expressed his pleasure at being back nearer to home: "great service in Hay Lodge," he said, "but no beer!" By some arrangement, he was thereafter given a beer each day, by medical prescription.

Perhaps it isn't just a coincidence that this service falls on Epiphany; Epiphany, after all, celebrates the Magi - the old Persian word for the wise men - who journeyed from the east to follow the light of the star to the cradle of the Christ child - and it celebrated the gifts of the Magi, the gifts of those who are wise.

David was both those things for us - wise, and a star who has guided, and will continue to guide, us in all our various journeys.

Jane Aldous
b. 11 March 1952

"If Dad were here today he would probably say... "You shouldn't have gone to so much trouble."

I want to share a couple of stories about my Dad which will always stay with me.
During the war, Dad was often away for months at a time serving in the Royal Army Medical Corps on board troop ships. It was always hard to predict when he would arrive back in Buxton. Dad and Mum worked out a code to communicate with each other through their many letters so when it came to planning their wedding this had to be done on a wing and several prayers. Dad's ship was due to arrive in Liverpool just before the appointed day but neither of them knew if he would make it. Despite the German mines in the Mersey, the ship did manage to dock in time for Dad to make a very rushed journey to Buxton and he and Marjorie did get married in St Johns, Buxton. It was only when they were getting in the car to go away on their honeymoon that Dad turned to Marjorie to say, "Where are we going?" She repleid, "Doncaster".

I could tell you about the teasing that Dad got from Mum about buying their first house within sight of Old Trafford or about his difficulty distinguishing weeds from garden plants or his legendary love of homemade cake.And also about the great fun we had on board the launch Dad bought when we lived in Torquay. This was in the early 60s and it was an old boat which was moored in Torquay harbour. We didn't win any speed records and if we got back to our mooring without the engine breaking down, we'd be doing well but Dad was a good skipper and I can still smell the bacon cooking on the tiny gas stove for breakfast. Which also reminds me of the time we went on a touring holiday around Scotland.
We were parked outside Balmoral and my mother (to get a better view) drove 100 years further along the parking bay leaving Dad stranded with his primus stove making a cup of tea.

Dad and Mum were very kind people and despite always being busy - Dad always doing his figures and Mum her flowers, they were simply devoted to each other and would always be willing to help others.

Dad, you will always be loved as a father, friend, brother and neighbour and of course, supporter of that up and coming football team - Manchester United.

We will all miss you very much."